Friday, December 29, 2006

A Year To Live

I've been thinking about this upcoming year for a while now. Mom and Dad have left for Orlando and it's just me in the house, so I've had a lot of time to just sit here and think about things. Life, love, the future, the usual.

But the more I think about leaving for Germany the harder my heart beats and I become tense and anxious. The one image I have in my head is of just me, walking out of my hostle I'm staying at, and having to navigate the city by myself. Walking around, by myself. Being in a new city and having this wonderful experience at my fingertips. New places, new opportunities...

I have one resolution this year, and I'm happy to say that in the past I've been able to complete most of my resolutions. This one is simple, but important: Live this next year as if it is your last.

Slightly morbid, but imagine what you would do if you only had a year to live. You'd take more chances, do things you've always wanted to do, never let opportunities pass you by just because you were scared of change or uncertainty.

What would you do if you had a year to live?

At the moment I have no idea, but I'll be more aware of my decisions and actions if I keep this in mind. I won't be scared of uncertainty, I won't walk away from good opportunties if they should present themselves. I won't wait for my life to start because I'm going to start it myself.

A year to live. Just one. Make it count.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's awesome. I wish I could do that. It's hard to do when you have the future hanging over your head, which I'll bet you are dealing with too. Because how do you plan out your next few years if you are at the same time acting as if this year is your last? I don't know. I guess it's just that that's the struggle, to think less in future tense and more in present tense.
I don't have any resolutions. I never make them for real. I can keep them, but I don't know. For some reason I just never seem to want to bother with them. I guess maybe I'd rather just resolve to change things anytime instead of just at New Year's (although that's not to say I DO...).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics