Sunday, December 10, 2006

Holiday Parties and German Social Studies

Yesterday's party was a surprising hit, mainly because the other parties we've had at the houses have gone downhill in one way or another. Run out of drinks, people we don't know show up, no one is really mingling, etc. But none of that happened last night and everyone had a great time.

Cam made the comment "your house is very friendly. This is the first party I've been to in a long time where people are talking to each other." I couldn't agree more-- people talked and got to know lots of others. I looked on a lot of my friend's facebook profiles and saw so many "added friends"! It's great to see new people meet and find out they have a lot in common. I love it. There's nothing than a house full of people drinking champagne and listening to holiday music.

This won't be the last Church St. get together though. We've got New Years coming up, and then the Farewell Party a couple of days before I leave for Germany.

And speaking of which, my coordinator emailed me back with the basic format for Social Studies at the school. 9th grade is a basic business class where they set up a mock business, 10th grade studies the migration and workings of the European Parliamentary systems, and 12th grade looks at Socio-Economic concepts and methods. There's a bunch of history thrown in there too (German, European, and World), but all the geography classes are in German so I won't be working with those.

So yes, I feel a little in over my head, but it's nothing I can't work through. I knew sooner or later I'd have to deal with econ, I just had no idea it would be European economics. I'll have more than one cooperating teacher, which is different than how most of my edu peers are doing it. I'm also going to be working with some english classes and I'm really excited about that.

I feel better knowing what I'm getting into and you better believe I'll be spending my winter break getting to know this material.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics