Sunday, December 24, 2006

Tis the Season To Be Jolly

Christmas has felt a bit rushed and forced this year for me. As soon as I got home I started painting the living room, so the tree trimming was pushed off until a couple of days ago. Though I've made biscotti and chocolate chip cookies I have yet to roll out the sugar cookies (even though the dough has been 'firming' since Thursday). The stockings aren't hung with care (they are still in the basement), and the rest of the family is giving themselves paper cuts with all the last-minute wrapping.

If there's two things that my family loves though it's Christmas and Disney. The "Disneyfication" of my house during the Christmas season is everywhere. Prime example: instead of a train around the tree we have a monorail. Oh! And how can I forget the giant blowup "Santa Mickey" on the front lawn. Don't miss out on our Disney Christmas village or the Mickey and Donald nutcrackers on top of the tv. Also, the fact that our tree should be a holiday advert in a Disney catalog should not be overlooked.

Yeah, we're a tad obsessed.

But the most interesting (read: worst) part of the holiday season thus far was the 6 mile trip through Satan's asshole, aka Callaway Gardens. As a kid I loved the Fantasy in Lights show but then suddenly it wasn't so fun anymore. I can't pinpoint when I stopped looking forward to it, but it was around the same time they made the "one-time-through-only" rule. I remember I wanted to kiss whoever came up with that because Dad would always go through at least twice. This year my parents decided it would be wonderful to do the trip on the trolley instead of in the car. Talk about the threshold of hell: 40 degree weather on an open air trolley, excited kids, carol singing, and a creepy narration by guy and his horse Snowflake. You bet your ass I was listening to Daft Punk the entire time.

But I'm trying to make the best of everything and in all actually the holiday has gone pretty well. I convinced my Mom to eat Indian food with me, the living room looks great and the tree is merry, the house smells like oranges and cinnamon, and the amount of holiday movies on tv are hysterical and slightly overwhelming. I don't even care that I've gone to Church twice today (oh, Catholicism) and Mom accidently changed the channel to Kinky Kong instead of King Kong. My family is crazy but then again so am I. It's the holidays so we're allowed to want to kill each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics