Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Learning From the Worst

Monday I have four classes, one of which is a double lesson (two 45-minute sessions) with a 10th grade social studies class. These kids do not like the class nor the teacher, and she vice versa. She's told them (and me) that she doesn't like the class.

Mistake #1. Never admit that you don't like a class to the students. You will lose all respectablity and they will never do anything you say because why the hell should they when you don't even care about it yourself?

These students have been working on a project that has lasted one-month-too-long and they are creating a webpage as their final project. Still. Teacher decides that whoever has a camera can go out around the city to take pictures for the site. All by 8 students leave.

Mistake #2. Just because you don't want to be there doesn't mean you can make the problem go away by getting rid of the students one by one.

Don't have a camera? Well, while the rest are taking pictures you can read this three-page article about immigration within Europe, create a PowerPoint, and present your findings to the class. Unfair, you say? Well life is a bit unfair, isn't it? I'd really like you to read this and do a presentation for the class. Oh come on, it's not that difficult of a read.

Mistake #3. Never ever give an assignment that you aren't willing to fight for.

Fine, don't read it then. The others are doing a stand-up job. You can just sit there for the next hour, but you aren't leaving.

Mistake #4. Don't tell your students to just sit there. Even if they aren't going to do an assignment you need to give them borders or by God they will do everything in their 16-year-old-power to make your life hell.

Yeah, I'll sit here. Watch me sit. Watch me sleep, talk, roll around the room in a chair that's not supposed to be in here (God, where did that come from?). Watch me talk behind your back about how this class is a waste of time. Watch me grumble, doodle, flirt, distract, stare out the window, make paper airplanes, and finally use the article to wipe the desk clean from a Diet Coke spill.

The students that did decide to read the article finish it within the first lesson. Teacher asks them to explain it, which they do. Teacher prompts, they answer. Teacher prompts some more, they think, then answer. Teacher is good at this part and she knows it. But after? After...

Mistake #5. Always have a back-up plan.

Teacher doesn't really have anything for them to do. One has a laptop and is putting together the PowerPoint, an incredibly bright boy who likes to work on his own and God help me but I can understand why when in this crowd. The other seven students chat, paint their nails, and I can feel the lesson slipping between my fingers. I say nothing, hating myself. I just read the article, there has to be something to talk about. I look over at Teacher and she's just sitting there watching the students.

I can't stand the silence. This class is dying and you're letting it. You may care about the students but the class holds no place for you and same goes for everyone in this room. I saw it the first day, you know? That this was going to be my hardest class. I only have two social studies classes to work with here dammit and you've ruined it for me. This attitude of indifference and unenthusiasm has been festering like a sore since September and what the hell can I do with that? I've tried and you've let me, you've encouraged me. But then when it's your turn again here come the grumbles from the students. The "why do we have to do this" and what do you say? "I don't like it either."

It's a never-ending cycle now. Teacher doesn't like the class, students don't like the class, students are unmotivated, unwilling to do work. Teacher tries to make them do work but what's the point? Teacher gets frustrated that students don't do the work and begins to dislike the class more. On and on and on. How did this even happen? Is it the class? The structure? The students? I'm always on the verge of asking but never do, because I don't have to ask. What you'll tell me I won't want to hear, because I refuse to believe that a teacher would dislike a class so much that a students education would suffer for it.

It's not about you, don't you get it? You become a teacher and you sell your soul to the system. You do it because it's that one out of every 200 students who might thank you. You do it because you know that you're going to have to do a lot of things you don't like but you do it anyway just to see the lightbulb go off in someones head from time to time. You hate your job some days but most you don't because the students are pretty fun to be around and they keep you young. But this halfhearted attempt at teaching is disrespectful to all parties involved.

Mistake #6. When you don't like what you're doing. Really and truly could do without it in your teaching profession, suck it up and make the best of it because by God you're going to have to do it no matter what. You dig to the end of your toes to find something you like about the class because if you don't then what the hell are you teaching for in the first place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics