Thursday, March 15, 2007

Currywurst and Rhine Park

I've realized that you can't get more German than eating Currywurst in Rhine Park. But let's back up, because the first sounds like some horrible spread you put on sandwiches and the other sounds like the German equivalent of Disney World.

Currywurst: Basically a brautwurst cut into big chunks, covered in a dark thick curry sauce and served with pommes (fries), which are also drowning in the same sauce. If you're adventurous you'll get mayo with the fries, as I've discovered most Germans are want to do. For the bland and boring people they get ketcup. If you really want to feel the burn (and who doesn't?) ask for paprika and curry powder over the whole thing. It's fantastic. Granted, everytime I eat it I feel the sauce clogging my heart until I'll finally kill myself, but who the hell cares? It looks disgusting but tastes great. Currywurst, people, a gift from God. Or Berlin. No one is quiet sure.

Rhine Park: a small park overlooking the Rhine River. There are tables for cafes in the park, plenty of stone walls to sit on, and several walking/biking paths. What's great about it is the location. The Rhine isn't anything to marvel at, but it is still nature. I've come to deal with the lack of green this city has to offer, but I (like most) really appreciate what there is. Rhine Park is one of these areas. And the weather that we've been having this past week is perfect for reading outside in the sun. It was around 48 degrees (F) and it's best I've felt since I've been here. Sadly "White Death '07" is apparently right around the corner and I'm hearing whispers of Cologne's "second winter" approaching fast. Wonderful.

Erin comes to visit tomorrow. Words can not describe how excited I am. I feel like I'm busier than ever but it really is all downhill from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics