Thursday, August 31, 2006

Terrorism vs. Genocide. The Former Side Seems to Be Winning.

(note: I'm just going to copy/paste most of an email I sent to a friend I worked with this past summer. It says everything I wanted to say about the topic, and of course I'm going to edit some of it).

Seriously, the world is going to hell and there's too many problems to solve all at once, so someone is always going to get left to the way side and guess who that is?

Fucking Darfur. I just know it.

Today the UN agreed to absorb or absolve the African Union troops in Darfur with around 17500 troops and 3000 police of their own, but only with the consent of the government, who, by the way, fucking hates the UN and the "western world" because they think it's going to be colonialism all over again.

Honestly. I could kill someone. Only with the consent of the government?? Nothing will ever happen! And the resolution says it'll only send in the troops on the October 1st deadline of when the African Union troops are due to leave.

October 1?! Are. you. serious.

And what's worse is that the UN is sending troops to the Isreal/Lebanon conflict, which of course is going to take precendence over Darfur in the majority of the world's minds. After all, they're only "Africans."

Yes, I actually had someone tell me that yesterday. I hope they burn in hell.

About 5000 UN troops are being sent to Southern Lebanon, but some people are saying that's not enough and I'm scared to death that when they find out how many are being sent to Darfur (a number I'm ecstatic about, by the way) I feel like the shit is going to hit the fan and people are going to start bitching and complaining.

I hate how I have no faith in the International Community anymore.

I hate how there's so much fighting going on.

I hate that I constantly feel hopeless and that I can only send so many postcards to
say what I want to say.

I hate that the students in my class most likely aren't keeping up with this and I want to bagger them with emails and I want them to be as involved with this as I am right now.


You are very good to rant to, by the way. Hope all is well. Just wanted you to know that the world cares more about terrorism than genocide, so you win the ultimate arguement.


Karen "I'm Not Giving Up, Bitches"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics