Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Story About Race (Depending on How You Look at It, I Guess)

Yesterday before the play I parked in a $2 all day parking lot and realized I didn't have enough money. Most people wouldn't care about such a small amount, but I'm paranoid so of course I tore the car apart hoping to find some change between the seats. After about five minutes of finding nothing I just sat half in/half out of the car and hoped my parents got there soon and covered me.

As I'm sitting there looking at the money in my lap a guy pops out from no where and drops a dime in my hand. I was in drop-jaw shock, mainly because this was the type of guy that I would cross the street to avoid. He was...well, he was scary looking. And here I am all dressed up to go to a musical and this guy looks like he hasn't had a shower in weeks and he gave me money. Not only that, but after walking a away a bit he comes back and holds out his hand and tells me to take as much as I need. After expressing my heartfelt (and I really mean heartfelt) gratitude he said "No problem" and walked off.

I probably sat there for a good ten minutes. What an amazing and extra-ordinary thing to happen! It was so out of the norms I'm used to being a part of and seeing that I couldn't stop smiling. I called Erin and told her, called Lauren, and told my parents upon seeing them at the theater. I know I shouldn't make a big deal out of it. "Who cares? You got money from a guy that happend to be black. What makes you so high and mighty?"

It's not about that. It's about the unexpectedness of it all. Race is a huge thing in the United States and I've been aware of my "whiteness" since I was a kid and, consequently, I've always hated what it means to me and to other people who view me as a (white) person. This man, whom I automatically had a stereotype attached to, completely blew my mind away with such a simple act of kindness.

I don't want it to seem that this man couldn't provide for himself or was destitue. He looked worse for wear, yes, but he didn't have to give me that money. He saw a person in need and helped out because he could. He might not have realized he was bridging the race gap, or he might have. Either way the race wall I have in my head (which I've been meticulously trying to take down since I was in middle school) recieved a severe and life-threatening blow last night. I will be saying 'thank you' to that man for a long time. I only hope I can pass on the good deed he gave me.

Never ever judge a book by its cover.

1 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Amy said...

That is a really incredible, cool story. Unfortunately working in a restaurant is turning me in to a raging racist, so it's good to hear stories like that that go against stereotypes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics