Friday, January 19, 2007

Darkness at Fenwick Arms

Yesterday was my last day in Lancaster. Tarik and I woke up late (see last post) and we decided to eat at Fenwick Arms, a pub about 20 minutes away from town and right on the side of the road.

But first I had to get a proper introduction to Fenwick. Apparently the pub had some real trouble about six months ago and a restaurant-style makeover show came to save it from disaster. The show is hosted by Gordon Ramsey, a very crass and no-nonsense man, who had absolutely no trouble yelling "fuck" at the 62 year old own and chef. The segment was great and I was really excited to see what had become of the pub and whether Brian, the chef, was still using crazy plates (read: far too modern plates for a 'traditional English pub').

My expectations were not let down and Fenwick Arms was fantastic. I was pushed to get the Yorkshire pudding and I swear to God a small child could have taken a bath in all the gravy that was put on the table (most of it being on my-- yes-- crazy plate). There were a handful of other customers, my favorite being an old man who muttered "shit" none-too-softly under his breath when he couldn't spoon vegetables onto his wife's plate and a table of four older people who were drinking and laughing heartily (and telling the best stories from their younger years).

But the most excitment at Fenwick Arms occured when the power went out. Storms and high winds have been hitting all of the UK for the past week and a power line was knocked out. It was still light outside, but the dark wood interior made us all feel as if in a cave. Everyone was great sports about it and candles were brought out to all the tables. Sadly though nearly all tables had finished their food, but couldn't get the check. So for about 40 minutes Brian-- the 62 year old part-owner and chef-- along with the bartender tried to pry open the cash register.

Everything was worked out of course, and the rest of the day was spent walking around and just hanging out. Today we're heading to Manchester to stay the night with Tarik's sister and then he's taking me to Liverpool for my flight. Very excited about meeting Mrs. W, my coordinator, in Cologne. I'm staying with her the weekend and then moving into the hostel on Monday-- the same day I start working at the school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics