Thursday, June 01, 2006

Travel and Death

So my parents have been traveling like crazy these past few weeks. First Cincinnati and dealing with family problems, then back home for a week, then Toronto for my Mom's nursing conference, and then as soon as they get back home for the weekend my Mom finds out that her college roommate of four years died.

Ginny. Dead. Just like that.

I started crying when Mom told me, mainly because I can't even begin to imagine how bad this must be for her. Ginny and Mom were extremely close (living with someone voluntarily for four years will do that to you) and kept contact relatively well. Exchanged holiday cards, called on birthdays, talked every couple of months. Throughout college they constantly went bowling, so much so they had their own shoes and initial-engraved 10lb bowling balls.

I could tell Mom was pretty shaken up about it, though she didn't cry to me or anything. She just quietly said, "it was a real shock, that's all."

To add on to the list of things Mom needs to do is figure out if they are going to travel with me to New England (I still need to sort out tickets and such). Dad said no to flying/renting a car deal, so I did my research on finding a cheap way up. According to a girl that's done Connecticut Camp before: fly into LaGuardia, then go to Grand Central Station and hop on the Metro North Railroad to New Haven. That'll take you to the station that's about a 5 minute drive to campus.

Very straightforward, and the cheapest way I could find to get there after too much research. I would love for Mom and Dad to come, but I completely understand that all this travel is getting to them. From June 10-17 they'll be going to Orlando, so coming home and going straight to New England is a little much. Lord, that's a lot of moving about. No wonder Dad is getting sick of it. In addition to this I don't feel comfortable with Mom traveling back by herself. Going back on the railroad to Grand Central and then taking a cab to the airport. I wouldn't want her to go through all that alone.

If you can't tell I worry about my parents far too much.

God, I feel so bad for Mom. Losing such a good friend so suddenly. I have so many people I'm close to right now I don't know what I would do if I lost someone.


Sigh. Anyway, still slaving away over Connecticut Camp stuff. Lots to do tomorrow, most of which will be done in the library (my home away from home).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics