Saturday, June 25, 2005

dear italy,

we had some interesting times together. i've travelled all over you and gotten to know your train system like the back of my hand. you've given me sunburn and a full stomach and black feet. you've given me achy knees and awesome pictures and even more amazing friends. the memories i have here will last me the rest of my life. i've thrown up on you and fallen on you. you've given me the most amazing view in the world and i will always deem the orphanage as my spot. you've shown me history and vespas and train strikes and old women with locked arms.

the rolling hills that i see every morning when i wake up will be there forever, while i will not. i will wake up to pine trees and a home in georgia. tuscany will be 5000 miles away, but my mind will drift back often. i will talk about you too much to my friends and they will become annoyed with you and the spell you hold over me. it's more than a crush-- it's love.

when i came here five weeks ago i never went through the honeymoon phase. i knew you were beautiful but i also knew that you had a dark side. among your historic buildings and lush parks there was graffiti and gypsies. beggers with drugged dogs and babies. women bent over with canes and hands out. life was either high paced or slow-- it was hard to find a medium but i managed well. rome, so vast and fast and big city. people travelling around it like it was nothing. it was something to them, but like any person once you've been there long enough it's importance can lose meaning. florence, another favorite, was more calm but equally large. the market was my favorite part and i will always remember sitting in the piazza and watching people walk by. como was gorgeous with it's lake and high hills. you are lucky to have her. siena, with it's calm life and huge square, can only be described as wonderful.

and then there's my home in italy. my montepulciano. the highest hill town in tuscany lived up to it's name and went beyond what i thought it would be. i came here with little or no expectations and i'm leaving with a mind full of the sights and sounds and sensory overload. my spot, the orphanage. the loud long dinners and never empty glasses of wine. endless nights at caffe poliziano and taking night time strolls around the town. the setting sun and the stars at night. i've never seen so many stars in my entire life.

if you think i'm not coming back then you're sorely mistaken. while it may take some time to return rest assured that i will at one point or another and sit at my spot and remember my summer here. thanks for all the good (and less than good) times. while you won't remember me, i will always remember you. thank you.

karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics