Sunday, June 18, 2006

Family and Money

Mom and Dad are on a conference call with my Aunt and Uncle right now talking about Grandma and what to do with her and The Situation. Things are basically where I last left them, but a lot of research has been done. Mom's got information on at least twenty retirement living communities!

So yeah, I'm basically eavesdropping on the conversation but it's not working out as best as I'd hope. I'm hoping they'll tell me about it later, mainly because Steve's actions have caused a ripple in everyone's lives (no matter how indirect).

Grandma has seven kids and they are all going to have to help out now (minus Steve, I'm assuming, so that leaves six). Dad guesses it's going to cost around $10,000 a year collectively to keep Grandma at independant living level she has now (after looking at past accounts/money/etc). Dad's also thinking that some of the short-term cost could be saved if one of the Siblings (as he's calling them) structurally alter their house to accomodate Grandma.

How to alter our house (?):
1. Turn one (of our two) stairways into an escalator of sorts. Or something that will help Grandma get up and down the stairs.
2. Turn the garage into a bedroom, complete with shower, etc. Then build a new garage.

Other places would be up to other Siblings. And this is all based on the assumption is that Grandma will say okay. And how long she lives.

I hate saying that last bit, but I keep hearing it come out of Dad's mouth and it sounds so...nonchalant. Like he's talking about a dog instead of a real person. And I know he doesn't think like that. I know he doesn't. My father has always been a very pragmatic person, so he's just saying it like he sees it. And he's right, in some regard. It's awful to think about, but it's necessary if everyone is going to figure out what to do.

Other assisted living communities Mom and Dad have been researching are anywhere from $9000-$15000 a month (and I think that's on the low end and not counting the entrance fee). BUT these places have all meals provided, activities... Hell, Mom keeps saying how she wants to move into one she's found it's so nice. But nice comes with a price-- something everyone is trying to cut back on.

What a mess this has turned into. I want to help Mom and Dad out, but I honestly don't know how.

Sigh. Yes I do, but I'm not ready to think about that right now.

A lot can happen in a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics