Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mormons, 3.5% Milk, and Good Deeds

Here everything closes down on Sunday. Only restaurants and cafes are open, and even then most close relatively early.

After spending most of the day in doing various things (watching episodes of Friends on YouTube, sending emails, etc) I ventured out around 4pm just to run some errands. It was here I realized how dead everything was. Regardless I had to go to the bank and on my way I was stopped by two Mormons who were from California and Utah, respectively. Cutting them off from the usual speech I told them I had heard it many times and focused on how they were, and did they like Cologne. They invited me to play Volleyball with a large group of them on Tuesday nights, not far from where I ran into them. Even though it would be nice to meet people and just relax I don't think I could handle it if I was constantly bombarded with their message. As much as I am all for religious tolerance I think I would attack someone with a volleyball. I might go. Maybe.

But probably not.

I hit up Starbucks again, even though it was closing within the hour. The girl at the counter now recognizes me and prepared an Earl Grey, which I find hysterical. She says not many people get it, which makes me wonder how old the tea is (I digress). There are only two types of milk here: 1,5% fat, and 3,5%. I nearly choked when I found out. For my skim-milk only body this place is hell and unfortunately I put the 3,5% in my tea, making it chewable.

But when I went up to the counter for more water the girl asked me if I wanted any food. They had a TON of sandwiches individually wrapped and were just going to chuck them out. I said sure and they gave me two bags worth! I have enough food to last me at least a week, but I gave one of the bags (with 11 wrapped sandwiches) to a homeless man that I always walk by. He thanked me, saying he was going to share the rest with his friend down the street (who I see all the time too). He said "I watch for you" but at the look on my face he corrected himself saying "I protect you?" He was trying to say "I'll watch out for you" I'm sure. Either way I'm going to try to get him food every Sunday. I just need to make sure I go back to that Starbucks again. God, what a waste of perfectly good food-- just throwing it away like that.

Anyway, that's my day thus far. It's only 7:15pm here, which means it's 1:15 in Athens. Weird.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Chewable tea. You should cook with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics